AWESOME PURPOSE


Can you recall a time when all departments in your company were required to present a dance or song number? And your colleagues kept persuading you to take part.
You were so thankful that you have to go on a business trip, so can use the same excuse you told them last year.  “Sorry, but I do not have time to attend rehearsals.  I’ll try to join next year.” 
Contest Chair, respected judges, fellow toastmasters and guests, you will hear how talents were discovered because of an awesome purpose.
I always think I’m not as talented as others.  I started feeling it when I was 8. I did not feel good that all my sisters always represented our school, for speech contests except me.
Plus, they were writers of our secondary school paper. And so, every time the issue was printed, they would bring a copy home and showed it to my parents. This always made my parents pleased and proud.
Thus, to make my parents proud of me too, I did my very best to bring home an award… the same award each year,"THE MOST BEHAVED STUDENT."
My mom confessed recently that she’s worried about me when I was young, she even told this to Dad when I showed them my award, “Honey, do you think Shiela is OK?  I am worried that she’s not talking to her classmates.  Obviously, she’s not the same as her sisters who participate actively in school activities.”
That reminded of Darren LaCroix, 2001 World Champion of Public Speaking, who informed his parents that he wants to enter the world of comedy. Instead of being proud of him, his parents didn't say any word. His parents might have been worried that their son was born without a funny bone but now wants to become a comedian.
Back to the most behaved student, on the contrary, I possess leadership skills.  I led a group of youths who regularly organized a play which comprises of singing, dancing and acting presentations.  All the youths were participating. While me, I was always at the backstage - in-charge of arranging props. Instead of leading by doing, I was leading by hiding.
Another contrast is I am brave.  I was so brave that I decided one day I want to explore life outside my homeland and flew to Bermuda Island for work. 
In order to overcome homesickness, I occupied myself by reading self-help books without knowing that these books will slowly develop my purpose in life - the purpose to inspire and touch peoples' lives. At first, I have the impression that to be an inspiration, one needs to be successful in life.  And, this is only for selected people.

So, I heard the voice of Mr. Negative, "SHIELA, SHIELA, DON'T BE FOOLISH! ONLY TALENTED PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO INSPIRE OTHERS."
Not in agreement was Mr. Positive, "SHIELA, WHAT AN AWESOME PURPOSE?!  I BELIEVE YOU CAN MAKE IT.  IT’S NOW THE TIME TO UNCOVER YOUR HIDDEN TALENTS.”
I answered back: “Mr. Positive, thank you for believing in me. Mr. Negative, I may not be talented, but I can still inspire others...at least I have a right thumb. I can type and send a text message."
I began my purpose by passing the quotes via SMS.  Every time when I come across a "quotable quote", I'll send it to the 100 numbers saved in my phone. 
Then, I discovered about blogging. I've found that using this method, I can share quotes, and also share my own experiences.
It was followed by an unexpected opportunity in 2008.  To work abroad and to live away from family is an achievement to many.  So, my primary school teacher invited me to deliver an inspirational message to the students on graduation.  I shared my ventures and experiences. 

“Have you discovered your purpose in life?  Do you think there is something that stops you from accomplishing that purpose?
Someone said, “It is not important to hold all the good cards in life. But, it is important how well you play with the cards which you hold.”
Darren was not born a comedian. He only aspired to be one.  Today, he’s not only throwing funny jokes but also inspiring a lot of people. 
He proved that even if we were not born talented, skills can be learned and nothing should stop us from accomplishing our purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ang BASWIT ni Bien!

Another bonus blog - Pag-ey-blog